Monday, August 30, 2010

Redeeming the Clutz

Yesterday my daughter took a glass of water with her when she went to bed. Push come to Shove, it got spilled all over hubby's laptop and other items. Mom to the rescue, I tried to make sure the laptop was dry and let it sit most of the day and night before trying to turn it on. Dead, dead, very dead. No lights, no sound.
We found the adapter hoping the battery was just dead. Still nothing. Not even a shimmer of light. Later I did find that the cd player part of the laptop worked. It has a seperate area that allows it to be used as a cd player. Weird for a laptop. It is 10 years old at least though.
Hubby was angry and said to throw it out. Sooooooo, I asked if I could take it apart. I like to take things apart. Immediately I did ask if he actually wanted me to put it back together again. He said no, so I attacked it without remorse. Must have had about 30 screws lined up along the edge of my computer desk. It was like a crazy puzzle box. Trying to figure out how to gain access to the next level with a screw here and a clip there. Because the laptop was so old, I could not find a manual to help. Finally, after about 5 hours of dismanteling this poor laptop which included removing the screen, keyboard and many wire clips and connectors, I got inside to at least see the hard drive and a brief view of the underlying circuit boards. Nothing looked damaged by water or exploded. Always a good sign. Did find some corrosion on some connectors coming off the board that had the power switch on it. Cleaned them and put that board back in. Bravely, I tried to plug in and turn on the computer again. Please note, at this time the computer was quite disassembled.
Much to hubby's and my excitement, the lights glowed on the circuit board and it made two loud beeps. I assumed 2 loud beeps means it is either unhappy about not having a screen, keyboard or both when powering up.
As previously mentioned, it was stated that I would not have to put this computer back together or remember where ALL THOSE SCREWS, connectors and parts came from. Well, now that it seemed to want to be resurrected, it became obvious that I would have to put it back together again. Sigh!!
Got it back together for the most part. Had to take out and put back some parts as I forgot to reconnect some clips that were under those circuit boards (these boards had to be held in with no less than 3 screws each). Finally got the keyboard and screen reconnected and it loaded windows and seemed to work fine. finished putting in almost all the screws I had left. Three screws seemed to have no home when I was done.
I was very excited to have resurrected the computer from the dead. Yay me again!!

No comments:

Post a Comment